logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style improvements

From Michael Poesdorf michael.poesdorf at poesinet.de on Sun Feb 17 10:01:29 GMT 2019

Hello Ticker

I had a look into the 3 mails/proposals of yours.
Point and Lines are in a way easy. More interesting is the look into the polygons.
To get the map impression I implemented the changes to polygons, lines and points of r4268. I also modified the mapnik.typ.
Please find the relevant files attached. Maybe someone else wants to have a look.
Recognize changed style lines by my comments starting with ###. The added polygons in the typ-file should be easily recognizable. Also the lines and points.

Please have a look at these 3 topics:
1)
“Park”. There is already 0x17. You ask for 0x1e and 0x1f, also as “Park”.
Not sure if we need this kind of differentiation.
0x1e is not on the typ - I created a 0x1f.

2)
landuse=retail, 0x12. What is the difference to “Shopping center”?
Nevertheless implemented in the typ.

3)
0x17 – the Park-topic
I implemented the requested typs also. And I understand that there are many different usages for areas.
The problem that I see is the colouring. We might get many quite similar coloured areas. Fifty shades of green.
Maybe recognizable in Basecamp on a computer, but not that easy to distinguish on devices (like my Montana 610).
In case DEM is used, all the flavours become darker. Night colours not considered.
It is do-able, but requires some a sense for colours.
With landuse=farmland I had to split that line into two, to follow your idea. You will see it from the comments.

To sum up: It works for me. If we do the changes to the default style, we should also change the default typ-file with some reasonable colouring.
Maybe Joris could comment what is do-able in the mapnik colour schema.

@ Gerd: Could you check the latest releases, please. I cannot find the mapnik.txt in the zip.

Cheers, Michael