logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap crashing with non-OSM data

From Patrick Simmons linuxrocks123 at netscape.net on Fri Dec 28 15:06:32 GMT 2018

Gerd,

Thanks!  It does indeed appear that tile works now, and I've successfully updated my map for the Western region of the US. \o/

I would rather strongly disagree that the TIGER data is crap.  The entire reason I bothered to do any of this is because I found the street address information on OSM-based Garmin maps to be so limited as to be effectively useless.  The maps themselves are very good, but I consistently had to use coordinates to actually navigate with them.  Now, finally, after half a month of wrestling with gargantuan XML files, I can stop writing down coordinates on scraps of paper before I leave the house.  Adding TIGER data to the maps added a huge amount of value for me, and I suspect will for other users as well.

The only problem I've seen with TIGER so far is that you'll get like 4200-4299 on a street that has only 8 houses (the Census does know it's 8 houses on the street, but they scrub the public data for privacy reasons).  That doesn't seem like a big deal to me since the interpolation should still get you very close to any of the houses that do actually exist.  Are there other problems with the data I should be aware of?

Thanks again,
--Patrick

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 10:23:14 +0000, Gerd Petermann <gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> with r4260 you should no longer see this error message. Still, the TIGER data in your file is really crap.
> If you are allowed to use it I would remove the addr:interpolation ways and use only the nodes.

MailTask: The Email Manager
https://github.com/linuxrocks123/MailTask
GPLv3 software, beta maturity