logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Pipeline route style

From Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com on Thu Nov 8 05:48:20 GMT 2018

Hi again, Gerd,

Thanks for the help on the pipeline rendering rule. I checked to see if the
style renders the pipeline in the area where I removed the tags from the
way and it rendered there perfectly. There was one error in the rule you
provided, the word "way". When I tried to compile my map, mkgmap complained
and provided the line number of the error so it was easy to fix. Here's the
corrected rule:

type=route & route=pipeline
    {
        apply {
        set man_made=pipeline;
        }
    }

During that long thread about tagging groups of lakes, someone suggested
creating a new relation type of "group". I wasn't ready to try creating
something new so I grouped my lakes into a standard multipolygon as I've
always done. Then a few days ago I came across a situation that was perfect
to experiment with the idea of a type=group. There are three large rocks
near Kodiak Island (Alaska) that together have the name "Three Sisters
Rocks". (See http://www.geonames.org/5876155/three-sisters-rocks.html) The
rocks are nodes, not ways, so the multipolygon approach wouldn't work.  I
created a new relation, tagged it as type=group and added the three nodes
to it, added a name tag and saved it. Of course, OSM doesn't know anything
about it, not even the name, because it has no idea what to do with a
multipolygon of type=group. Then, because of your hint I was able to
construct this rule which made them visible in my mkgmap images!

type=group & name=*
{
     apply {set name='${name}';        }
}

I can't decide whether to leave them as a "group"  or try to invent a new
scheme to tag them. I certainly will not be pushing for the creation of a
new relation type anytime soon. Life is too short LOL

Best,
Dave
--
Dave Swarthout