logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter: option for maximum tile area?

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Wed Oct 31 21:03:17 GMT 2018

Hi all,
currently a Java OutOfMemory exception prevents me from creating a map.
I already use option --max-jobs=3 (the machine has 4 physical cores) and
-Xmx5G (of 8 GB installed). Beyond OSM data, the map contains DEM and
elevation contour lines.
 From the tiles finished and those with a new timestamp but about 0
bytes length, I can see that mkgmap was rendering tiles 47120005,
47120006, 47120007 at the time of crash.
Tile 47120005 is extremely large by physical area - some 6° x 5.5° (see
attached file), covering a lot of the south chinese sea, i.e. there are
not many actual data in that area.
I guess that the problem arises with that tile. I remember some case in
the past where a single tile covering such a large area of mainly sea
caused mkgmap to take an enormous amount of time for rendering - also
here, mkgmap already spent about 1 hour before crashing.
So I'd like to ask: is there some possibility for limiting the area of a
tile among the splitter options?
Kind regards,
Bernhard