logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] patch to improve style throughput

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Apr 30 09:49:21 BST 2018

Hi all,

I think I found a much better solution for the RuleIndex. Attached patch reduces again the number of evaluated rules, but should still evaluates all necessary rules.
The old index still returned too many rules. Let's look at the example that I added as unit test. Set of rules:
0: a=* {set b=1}
1: b=1 {set c=1}
2: d=2 {set c=2}
3: c=* {set a=2}
4: c=1 {set d=2}
5: c=2 {set d=1}
6: d=1 [0x10401 resolution 24]
7: d=2 [0x10402 resolution 24]
Assume we have no index and an element with only one tag a=1. We check each rule:
Rules 0 matches and sets b=1
Now 1 matches and sets c=1
Rule 2 doesn't match.
Rule 3 matches and sets a=2
Rule 4 matches and sets d=2
Rule 5  doesn't match.
Rule 6  doesn't match.
Rule 7  matches.
The index is used to reduce the number of evaluated rules. In the best case it should return rules 0,1,3,4, and 7 for the given element.
But the current code returns all rules because it thinks that rule 4 can set d=2 and therefore rule 2 might be triggered (which is wrong).
The patch changes the index to recognizes the order of the rules which change tags and therefore returns only the needed rules.

I've tested it with different styles and found no problem so far. Means, maps did not change and the patch always was better than trunk or tags4.patch.
A binary based on trunk r4183 is here:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/432/mkgmap.jar

@Steve: Please let me know if you can think of a case that might not work.

If I hear no complains I'll commit this patch next weekend.