logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] DEM Resolution and size savings

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Sat Mar 31 12:28:00 BST 2018

Observation based on Austria:
Well if I create a map with DEM layer with
resolution=0=24,1=23,2=22,3=21,4=20,5=19,6=18 and set dem-dists=6624  the
resulting quality will be pretty low.
If I create that map instead with resolution=0=23,1=22,2:21.... and
dem-dists=3312 - the filesize will be similar or actually smaller, the
level of detail/quality of the DEM however much higher. Compared to the
much bigger (in MB/filesize) option of  0=24,1=23,2=22... and
dem-dists=3312 there is virtually no visual difference in Basecamp.
Even with dem-dists=1656 there is no visual difference if you create the
DEM layer starting with resolution 0=24 or 0=23. For dem-dists=3312 there
is really no reason to go higher than resolution 23. Even resolution 22
would be fine. For dem-dists=1656 resolution 0=23 is good enough.

So actually if mkgmap could somehow make use of this to optimize  the
quality/size ratio of DEM layer that would be pretty good.
Even though dem-dists=1652 looks pretty neat in Basecamp - I'm not sure if
it is not sometimes creating detail that is not there. For sure if you
create a route and look at the altitude profile the overall climb/descent
will be overstated - but that's of course also due to ways usually
following more the possibility of lowest climb/descent vs shortest
distance. In general the resolution of both OSM and DEM I guess is then not
good enough and climb/descent will be overestimated a bit.

For Viewfinderpanormas 1" DEM files - the DEM produced with resolution 0=23
and dem-dists=3312 seems to be a good compromise if size is not a big
factor. If size is a factor resolution 0=22 and dem-dists=3312 will be the
optimum. For best visual quality resolution 0=23 and dem-dists=1656 will be
best (though I'm not sure if we go for fake accuracy here. Resolution 0=24
and dem-dists=1562 is really not worth it. It maybe however that the 1"DEM
is not up to actually improving quality for dem-dists=1656 in the Alps so
best quality default would actually be resolution 0=23 dem-dists=3312 and
best quality/size 0=22 and dem-dists=3312.

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck
Austria - Österreich