logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] The 0x4b background polygon in the overview map

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Jan 12 13:50:09 GMT 2018

Hi Henning,

sorry, can't follow. All I tried to point out was that it is not a good idea to use
an option --overview-map-polygon. My understanding is that a bounding polygon
has to be used for all tiles that build a map and that the 0x4b polygon of the
overview map should be the combination of the 0x4b polygons of those tiles.
The option name --overview-map-polygon implies that it is only used to cut the overview
map without cutting the tiles.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Henning Scholland <osm at hscholland.de>
Gesendet: Freitag, 12. Januar 2018 14:31:59
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] The 0x4b background polygon in the overview map

So your idea was basically:

User has splitted a data file covering city A in the upper part and city
B in the lower part. Now user wants to ask mkgmap creating a map with
that data file for city A only by giving mkgmap a polygon only covering
upper part of that data tile.

Ok, I haven't thought about it. So I would agree with you, that both
maps should follow that given poly-file. That would also make handling
of overlapping map areas, which are splitted in one step more easy. But
will require some changes in splitter too. Following the above example,
if I give splitter an osm-file with rectangle of city A and another
rectangle of city B, splitter will create 2 data tiles. In case A and B
are overlapping, 3 tiles will be created. But finally the tiles will be
much better with that additional polygon, as splitter just can use one
big tile instead of 2 or 3 smaller ones. At the moment some tiles of my
maps are pretty small, because of that overlapping areas.

Henning.