logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] option --show-profiles and DEM

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Jan 11 08:03:38 GMT 2018

Hi all,

the help says
--show-profiles=1
	Sets a flag in tdb file which marks set mapset as having contour
	lines and allows showing profile in MapSource. Default is 0
	which means disabled.

I've tried this with MapSource. My findings:
The option is not related to contour lines, those are always displayed and height is shown when you select one.
I found two effects of show-profiles=1:
1) The button "Show Profile..." in the Route Properties popup is enabled even if no DEM data is available.
Without DEM data this button is of no use, the displayed profile is a straight line at height 0.
2) With DEM data available Mapsource displays the height in the status line when you hover over a hill-shaded area
with valid data.

The button "Show Profile..." in the Route Properties popup is always enabled when DEM data is available.

My conclusion:
The option is useless without DEM data and with DEM data it should default to --show-profiles=1

In other words: I think the option should be removed and the flag should be set depending on the DEM data.

Comments?