logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] DEM Noddy Guide

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Jan 9 06:09:46 GMT 2018

Hi all,

I did not note this before, but there is probably a typo in this description:
overview-dem-dist=888888 is far too high, I assume Arndt meant 88888.

Besides that I think there is need to use --dem-poly in combination with the poly file created by splitter.
This poly file just describes the outer boundaries of the tiles, and mkgmap calculates this polygon anyway.
The --dem-poly can be used with the rather complex *.poly files from geofabrik. I've tested with bolivia.poly which has 1176 nodes
and the additional tests for the polygon bounds did not take long. Still, you may want to draw your own simpler poly files because those from
geofabrik are rather close to country borders.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Arndt Röhrig <arndt at speichenkarte.de>
Gesendet: Freitag, 5. Januar 2018 21:41:57
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] DEM Noddy Guide

Hi Mike,

it´s simple:

- Download hgt files )*

- give mkgmap the option x-dem=path to the hgt files

- x-dem-dists=3314,4000,6000,8000,10000,15000 (maybe other values are better)

1 value for each level (options file: exampel levels = 0:24, 1:23, 2:22, 3:21, 4:20, 5:19)

- x-overview-dem-dist=888888 writes DEM to the overviewmap (maybe other value is better)

- x-dem-poly=path to a poly file  for example areas.poly from splitter result.

That´s all.

)* hgt files are downloadable here: http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html

I use phyghtmap to create SRTM contourlines as .pbf. the program download hgt files from viewfinderpanoramas to build the pbfs. After that you find a folder hgt on your pc with hgt files inside.

http://katze.tfiu.de/projects/phyghtmap/

Greetings

Arndt

Mike Baggaley hat am 5. Januar 2018 um 21:19 geschrieben:

Hi all,

I've been following the discussions of DEM with interest, but have so far
not attempted to create a map including this. Is there a guide to the steps
involved in producing the DEM data? I have contour data in OSM format - is
there a simple way to get this into a suitable input format (or is there a
specification of the input format available, so I can knock up something to
convert it)? I'm assuming that the height data contains the same information
as contour data but in a different format.

Thanks,
Mike