logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] a new DEM-File Option

From osm@pinns osm at pinns.co.uk on Mon Oct 30 18:03:34 GMT 2017

Hi Minko

With real difficulty, ie I'm having to rely on Mapinstall and sometimes
the maps are installed but often not ! No idea why.

When it works, I feel the tdb is correct, when it doesn't , I have no
idea if there is something missing in the tdb file or if it is the dem
file itself.

There are 6 bytes in the tdb which are not documented - have copied them
from various TOPO maps, but to no avail , ie Mapinstall still failks to
install

I have managed to install your Openstreenmap v2 on my Oregon device by
adding dem files to the gmap from your site.

Then I added the dem length files to the tdb & recompiled the tdb  -
this ensures you don't get the memory msgs

You can download the tdb at www.pinns.co.uk/bits/10010000.tdb

There is a snag , though, in that your dem files might not be the same
size - backup the original one

I used the ----lastcolstd option as well -Although you get lots of blue
flashing tiles you can still zoom into your map , so I think the option
has helped.

Mapinstall is one of tghe most frustrating tools Garmin has ever invented !

I tried Gmaptool, but  with limited success , ie the TYP file defaulted
to a Gramin TYP

ie I dragged the rgn ,lbl nod etc subfiles  onto the files part then did
a join

This would be a much better option , if only it works fully.