logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] a new DEM-File Option

From Frank.Stinner fstinner at gmx.de on Wed Oct 18 17:30:48 BST 2017

Hi,

i have find with a lot of "trial and error" a algorithm to create
DEM-Files for a Height-Profil. You can find the description (in german)
at https://github.com/FSofTlpz/Garmin-DEM-Build/blob/master/DEM-Daten.pdf

With this data we can for example draw a track in mapsource or basemap
and we at once the Height-Profil of our track. At second, the map looks
like better.

I have create a experimental program called BuildDEMFile :) to build
this files. Experimental means, the encoder is for exploring the
algorithm but not for speed. You can find the programit at
https://github.com/FSofTlpz/Garmin-DEM-Build.

It is possible, that there minor bugs, but i have it successfull testet
for 2 different germany-maps.

I have a wish:
Can you in mkgmap insert a new option, for example --dem with path to
DEM-files, and include these files in the join-process for the
IMG-files? So far only joined the LBL-, NET-, NOD-, RGN- and TRE-File.
Also should be set the dem-flag in TDB-File.
If so, i can build the DEM-Files with area-size from the splitter-file
areas.list. I hope thats the same like in the TRE-Files?

That would be a little bit easier then my fiddly way:
split the ready IMG-files, build the DEM-files and then join the files
to new IMG-files. And at last i must change the dem-flag in the TDB-File.

with best regards
Frank

---