logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] nodes on a way/polygon

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Oct 5 07:04:50 BST 2017

Hi all,
the current data structures and algos in mkgmap are optimized to process existing tags. The latest requirements often asked for information that is not stored in tags.
Of course it is possible to change mkgmap to support all kinds of queries similar to overpass api or SQL, but that would require a lot of changes in mkgmap and
also a massive increase in resource consumption. I wouldn't want to go that way, esp. not when I see that Garmin seems to be willing to remove the support for the
maps in the old format.
I wonder if any of the existing tools allows to preprocess OSM data in a way that would allow to add tags using powerfull queries?

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2017 16:40:44
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] nodes on a way/polygon

On 04/10/2017 14:34, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Can you explain why this would be useful?

If it helps, I can see why it might be useful to find out which other
OSM objects a node is part of, given that I'm just about to make use of
exactly that capability in a lua script called from osm2pgsql.  In my
case it'd be "do something different for information route markers based
on what route relation they're part of", but I can certainly see why
someone might want to "do something different if they're mounted on a wall".

This of course echoes Richard Fairhurst's post here back at
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2017q1/026289.html .
Personally I'd find it extremely useful to be able to take say
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua
and use that as a basis for styling both in OSM Carto and mkgmap, but
unfortunately I've no idea what'd be needed on the Java/lua integration
side.

Best Regards,

Andy