logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style:pier

From nwillink osm at pinns.co.uk on Fri Sep 8 10:13:45 BST 2017

Hi
Just an observation :

The default style adds a footway to all piers.

(man_made=pier | man_made=piste:halfpipe) & area!=yes
{add highway=footway; name '${ref} ${name}' | '${ref}' | '${name}' }

I can see why ,particularly with large wide piers like Brighton Pier.
Such piers are relatively rare.

 Unfortunately , the pier tag is too general and can also include a place
for mooring (mooring=yes).

These 'mooring piers' are most commonly not open to the general public ,
their entrance being barred by a gate.
In an ideal world such piers should have an access restriction.

When I visited Falmouth this summer I thought I was able to walk along all
the piers mapped ; unfortunately, I couldn't.

When I create my 'walking maps' I only add a footway when area=yes or the
pier includes  route=hiking etc relation.
Take Torquay harbour : it looks as if you can do a nice stroll along all
these 'piers'; in reality access is private.

I'm not sure what to do about this other than adding access tags to each
pier.