logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

From franco_bez franco.bez at web.de on Sat Aug 26 22:01:06 BST 2017

Hi Gerd and Andrzej,

I do not see any reason why GARMIN should only require UNICODE maps to be
signed, while LATIN1 maps can remain unsigned.

I suspect that there is a flag in the file header, maybe a new and
undocumented one, that marks the file as "check for signature".
When the Oregon checks the signature, and finds out that there is none, it
states that the check failed.

Maybe mkgmap accidentally marks the file as "to be checked for signature"
when it writes out a unicode map.

Does this soud plausible to you ?

I uploaded a sample map that produces the error, it just contains
administrative border lines as an overlay layer. I'm not sure whether it
contains an index or not .
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/356/dach_boundary_gmapsupp_error.img

I can do a little testing if you can provide me with test cases.

Ciao,
  Franco