logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Aug 26 05:59:41 BST 2017

Hi Franco,

my understanding is that this is not a bug, but a limitation implemented by Garmin.
My mothers Nüvi also doesn't load unicode maps.
One reason might be that some indexes don't work with unicode and mkgmap doesn't
write the needed ones. I cannot try that now.
If the 750 loads a unicode map without an index we may have a chance by doing more reverse
engeneering of old maps.
On the other hand, I wonder how long they will the support the old img format written by mkgmap,
maybe this is the first step to drop this support.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von franco_bez <franco.bez at web.de>
Gesendet: Freitag, 25. August 2017 22:18:28
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] Recent Garmin Firmware "cannot authenticate maps" when they are unicode

Hi all,

maybe it's already a know bug.
I just stumbled over this one:

On a new Oregon750 I got the Error "cannot authenticate maps", while on the
old Oregon550 the maps worked like always.

I found out that changing the option "unicode" to "latin1" in my style did
the trick, the resulting maps work on both devices.

Over here in Germany I have no problem with latin1, but I suspect that in
Russia or in the middle east or far east countries this will be a real
problem.

I attached the Error Screenshots.

Ciao,
  Franco