logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Data / routing issue - Vancouver, BC ferries

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Aug 5 07:58:43 BST 2017

Hi Andrzej,

popej wrote
> Mkgmap could include following algorithm:
>
> Find all suspicious objects, like highway links, roundabouts, service
> roads connected to a ferry and analyze other roads connected to this
> object. If any of these other roads get road_class 3 or 4, then increase
> road_class of processed object accordingly to 3 or 4.

This would not always help.
See for example hw=service way 50330706
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/50330706

One has to crawl through several service ways to find out that the ferry is
connected with
the hw=secondary way 475872377
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/475872377

I see no easy way to implement an algo which would find out that this
hw=secondary is the
one that "delivers" the wanted road class. I fear this kind of mapping
happens quite often.

I would expect that the Garmin routing algo is aware of this when it comes
to ferry lines, but did not
yet test it.