logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Creating a point with a full address that can be found

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Wed Jun 7 10:51:27 BST 2017

Hi Gerd

I think you are saying that the IMG format doesn't support an address
unless it is associated with a road/way. So I should give up this idea.

On a related subject to this and your recent work on MDR indexes, a
while ago I found (on Garmin eTrex) that points with type 0x29 are
findable with Find>"All POI". This POI shows as a small square icon
without a label but hover does show the label. The other types "All
POI" show are 0x2a-0x30 (ie food&drink, lodgings, attractions,
entertainments, community, other..) and 0x12. It doesn't find
Geographic Points.

This seems to be related to imgfmt/app/lbl/PlacesFile.java:
        public static final int MIN_INDEXED_POI_TYPE = 0x29;
        public static final int MAX_INDEXED_POI_TYPE = 0x30;
        void createPOIIndex(String name, int index, Subdivision group,
int type) {
                assert index < 0x100 : "Too many POIS in division";
                int t = type >> 8;
                if (t < MIN_INDEXED_POI_TYPE || t >
MAX_INDEXED_POI_TYPE)
                        return;

Do you know of a reason for this range? Is including 0x29 a mistake?
Should it be configurable? Maybe all POI should be allowed?

I don't really need answers to these questions, more a matter of
interest. I'm going to try changing the range to 0x0e .. 0x72

Ticker