logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] please test r3942

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed May 17 09:15:50 BST 2017

Hi Andrzej,

yes, MapSource lists the entries in the order in which they appear in the index. With r3942 mkgmap sorts by partial name + full name,
and the order is probably essential. The PC index contains a list of the (full) road names (MDR15) and a list in MDR7 sorted by partial name + full name that
refers to the entries in Mdr15. Both MapSource and Basecamp show the name written to MDR15. The index for the device doesn't contain Mdr15,
instead MDR7 points to the label. The data in Mdr7 tells Garmin software what part of the label was used, so I think Garmin can show that part as well.
Maybe your problem is that many entries are found and the one you expect comes too late. By default MapSource shows only
the first 30 entries, maybe change it to 100 or so.
Basecamp evaluates more information and the index allows to specify the order in which results should appear, but I've not yet
implemented this (because MapSource ignores the info and I don't fully understand how to compute the data).

I've now also compiled map for poland with code-page=1250 and see the same result for Focha as with 1252.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Andrzej Popowski <popej at poczta.onet.pl>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. Mai 2017 09:48:45
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] please test r3942

Hi Gerd,

I use my own style, --code-page=1250 (it is for Polish) and
--x-split-name-index. If problem is about srt file for cp1252, then
probably my test is not good. I have started compilation of Europe map
with cp1252 but it will take some time.

 > MapSource and Basecamp list the entries in a rather strange order

Maybe MapSource lists entries exactly as sorted in index? Probably
search is done with partial name but result shows full street name. I
guess that sort key in mkgmap deals only with partial name and when
partial names in comparison are the same, full names remain in random
order. Maybe you could extend sort key to use full name too?

I'm not sure if lack of possibility to select "Focha" alone is error of
Mapsource or mkgmap. It looks like partial names aren't listed in
Mapsource but they are present when searching in nuvi.

The same search in City Navigator works a bit different. I think CN adds
"ulica" (street) prefix to a name. I can see entries:
"ulica Ferdynada Focha"
"ulica Focha"
"ulica marsz. Ferdynanda Focha"

When I select "ulica Focha" i get a correct hit at "ulica marsz.
Ferdynanda Focha".

--
Best regards,
Andrzej