logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] POI indexing, problem with label 0x2800

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue May 2 17:52:23 BST 2017

Hi all,

I've changed mkgmap to put only POI types 0x29xx .. 0x30.. into the index in LBL.
I've also changed the code so that the POI types 0x64xx..0x66xx are written to the global
index as group 11 .. 13.
Besides that I've learned that the mdr in Garmin maps also indexes some polygons,
e.g. type 0x17 (parks) appears in group 64 and some water polygons in 65 and so called man_made things in 66.
My understanding so far is that groups 11..13 and 64..66 appear in search dialog "Geographic Places".
Maybe this means that we don't have to add some POI for those polygons. I have to experiment with this.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Gerd Petermann <GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 30. April 2017 11:13:28
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] POI indexing, problem with label 0x2800

Hi Andrzej,

you wrote that you noticed an increase in the LBL file. I think you use option --make-poi-index, but
the help says
--make-poi-index
        Generate the POI index (not yet useful).
I've never used this option because of this description, so maybe I should add this to my test cases....

The svn log for this option (r1170) says :
"Add --make-poi-index option to enable POI index generation.

The POI index, which used to be generated by default, doesn't actually
appear to be useful at this time. So now it's only generated if you
give this option."

Unfortunately it doesn't say what the expected effect of the index is. The code for this was added with r984 :
"Add support for exits (motorway junctions & services).

One major annoyance is that when finding exits, the GPS prefers to
find the exits on the basemap rather than the OSM map. Don't know
at this time how to fix that.

Also included in this commit is support for building the POI Index.
I originally thought this was needed for the exits but I don't think
it is now but it may still be useful so I am leaving it in."

I'll try to find out more. Maybe you can try without the option --make-poi-index
and see if that changes anything besides img file size?