logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address search and the --lower-case option

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Apr 25 21:24:05 BST 2017

Hi Andrzej,

thanks for the info. I am not sure if my change gives the correct sort seqence, I have to try that.

One question is why we have option --lower-case. My understanding is that we don't want
a map that shows Geissweg when OSM and the street signs say Geißweg. I assume there are
similar cases in other languages, too. The character µ is a minor problem as it appears only
a few times compared to ß, which appears very often in German road names.
It is also confusing when the device shows Geißweg but
a search for Geiß doesn't show the way. By the way, I have this problem also with unicode maps
on my Oregon. What bothers me is what the device does with my search value (at least
with an unpatched cp-1252.txt) :
When the search field is empty, it shows a key board with upper case characters A-Z ÄÖÜ and ß.
When I start to type Außer it switches to lower case after the A. When I press the "check" symbol
(v-shape in lower right corner) it shows the screen "no results found. Change search criteria".
When I go back to the dialog it shows AUßER, so it somehow thinks that the value has to be changed
to upper case. I wonder if this also happens with maps from Garmin, if not, there is probably a
flag somewhere to say if that is wanted or not.