logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] undocumented contour line feature

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Mar 24 11:25:03 GMT 2017

Hi all,

I've tried to use it with --x-contours and it turned out that it doesn't work.
1) The code expects the SRTM data to be available, it has no automatic download feature like e.g. phyghtmap. I think that this would be needed to make it a good feature.
2) The  code can only add SRTM data for a tile which is not too large ("must not span more than one SRTM file"). This would also require more work.
3) If the code generates ways they are ignored because some methods are not called to process them. It may have worked before r2599, but surely not since then.

So, I think it is safe to remove the code since nobody complained.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Gerd Petermann <GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Freitag, 24. März 2017 10:08:57
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] undocumented contour line feature

Hi all,

mkgmap contains sources to generate contour lines from SRTM data, but it seems to be very
incomplete. The last significant changes in the source was in 2010, and I never heard that anybody uses
options like --x-contours since I started to contribute to mkgmap.
See also
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2009q3/002581.html

I'd like to either remove the code completely or mayve make it work if you think that it would be better to have the code in mkgmap
instead of a separate package like phyghtmap.
Does anybody remember why it is not documented?