logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] unpaved roads

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Feb 8 07:38:35 GMT 2017

Hi all,

I tried to create a patch for the rules which set mkgmap:unpaved using the wiki and taginfo:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/surface#values

One probem with surface is that we have so many values (taginfo lists 4844 different today),
many of them typos or combinations like "ground;grass" or nonsense like "paved;unpaved"
I guess many of the latter were produced by "connect ways" functions in OSM editors, so not fully intended.

Anyhow, my impression is that it would be better to change the rule so that it checks the known
paved surfaces and assumes that all others mean unpaved.
The current rules are quite old, it was introduced with r1425 and last changed with r1489.

Comments?
Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Carlos Dávila <cdavilam at orangecorreo.es>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. Februar 2017 12:39:49
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] unpaved roads

I don't agree with you. I think default style is a generic style, and as
such, it shouldn't do much guess but use the strict meaning of tags.
Gravel, fine_gravel, ice, etc. are strictly unpaved and I would mark
them as such in default style. More specific uses (mtb/race
bicycle/4wd...) require specific maps and thus specific styles.
@Mark: I'm also cyclist and for mtb use your "raining" point of view of
paved/unpaved is important to be considered.