logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] unpaved roads

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Feb 7 09:19:49 GMT 2017

Yes, quite difficult.
My understanding is that we don't really care about paved/unpaved here, it is more about smoothness, and probably most of the people contributing here are cyclists.
I've cycled > 33.000 km through many European countries during the last years and I'd prefer to avoid surface
cobblestone or concrete:plates which are "paved" but painful
while I really like to travel on fine_gravel as long as it is not raining heavily.
On the racing bike I'd prefer to avoid surfaces which are not smooth, but I nearly stopped cycling on them.

This "raining" part is probably what paved/unpaved is about: The surface of a paved road should not change when it's raining
and your vehicle will not be covered with dirt when traveling on a paved road while it is raining (at least not from dirt which was part of the surface).

Do you agree on that (last sentence)?

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von lig fietser <ligfietser at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. Februar 2017 09:38:03
An: Development list for mkgmap; daveswarthout at gmail.com
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] unpaved roads

It really depends on the user, the region etc.

In my bicycle map I consider fine_gravel cycleways as paved because my users are mainly touring cyclists and those paths are (at least in my region) excellent for touring. But not suitable for racing bicycles, for them those cycleways  are unpaved.

I would suggest to make it unpaved for generic use and use a regular expression sytax to catch all combinations. In my OFM I solved this by using

surface ~ '.*(ash|bad|clay|cob|compact|dirt|earth|erde|gr|loam|mud|peb|sand|shotter|rock|turf|unpaved).*'

Dave wrote:

But none are "paved" in the usual sense of that word. I would hate to drive on a "fine gravel" road, or an ice road, unless I was prepared for it. Even if the fine gravel were on top of a compacted substrate it would present a hazard to bicycles and motorcycles. I'm not sure I care how a "salt" road is classified - I've never seen one let alone driven on one.