logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] unpaved roads

From Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com on Tue Feb 7 07:57:51 GMT 2017

But none are "paved" in the usual sense of that word. I would hate to drive
on a "fine gravel" road, or an ice road, unless I was prepared for it. Even
if the fine gravel were on top of a compacted substrate it would present a
hazard to bicycles and motorcycles. I'm not sure I care how a "salt" road
is classified - I've never seen one let alone driven on one.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Gerd Petermann <
gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that the wiki
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface
> mentions a few more surface values which are considered unpaved compared to
> the default style.
> The current rule in the lines file contains  this
> highway=*
> & (surface=cobblestone | surface=compacted | surface=dirt |
>    surface=earth | surface=grass | surface=grass_paver |
>    surface=gravel | surface=grit | surface=ground | surface=mud |
>    surface=pebblestone | surface=sand | surface=unpaved |
>    mtb:scale=* |
>    tracktype ~ 'grade[2-6]' |
>    smoothness ~ '.*(bad|horrible|impassable)' |
>    sac_scale ~ '.*(mountain|alpine)_hiking' |
>    sport=via_ferrata)
> { add mkgmap:unpaved=1 }
>
> The wiki also llists these as unpaved:
> gravel_turf , fine_gravel, ice, salt, snow, woodchips
>
> I think the rule should at least contain gravel_turf, snow, and woodchips.
> My understanding is that fine_gravel, ice , and salt are rather smooth
> surfaces.
>
> Comments?
>
> Gerd
>

> --