logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] type=through_route relations and mkgmap r3743

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Jan 10 11:22:33 GMT 2017

Hi Paul,

sorry , I still have no idea what the wanted effect is. If you think that my example is tagged correctly,
in what case should it change the routing hints and to what?
Or maybe point me to another example.

thanks,
Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von News <news at pointdee.co.uk>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 10. Januar 2017 11:55:06
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] type=through_route relations and mkgmap r3743

If I remember correctly the idea of a through_route was first raised by
Mark Burton a few years ago. It was intended to solve the problem of
TOTSO's
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_road_transport_terms#TOTSO)
which is a situation where you have to turn off the carriageway you are
currently travelling on in order to stay on the same named road. In
these circumstances it is (almost) impossible for any routing engine to
deduce that it needs to give you a routing hint in order for you to stay
on the road that you are currently on. At the time I had a couple of
these near me where I knew that my Garmin was effectively missing a turn
and hence you would end up travelling in the wrong direction. Adding a
through_route at these places fixes this problem.

There is also a secondary use where a road e.g. Smith Road, bends 90
degrees and you are sometimes told to turn left/right to stay on Smith
Road even though there is no turning

A few years ago I tried to get this accepted into the list of official
tags however the vote resulted in a draw and I didn't have chance to
pursue it further.

I have now moved and there are none currently near me that I could use
to check if this is still working

See also......
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2013q2/017429.html
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2010q1/007028.html