logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Feature Request: mkgmap able to create gmap archive (BaseCamp)

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Sun Dec 4 15:34:31 GMT 2016

Steve Ratcliffe <steve at parabola.me.uk> writes:

>> I'm wondering if it would be possible that mkgmap is able to
>> create/convert maps also in the gmap (gmapi) format used for BaseCamp on
>> Windows and Macintosh.
>
> Yes, this seems a reasonable thing to do.

I would like to see this too.  I run mkgmap on a mac, and want to have
both a big .img to load directly and also gmapi format to load into
basecamp.

> In the mkgmap code base there is a python program called
> gmapi-builder.py in the scripts directory.
>
> See also https://bitbucket.org/berteun/gmapibuilder/overview
> and http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gmapibuilder.
>
> This is a converter, but should work on all platforms with python
> installed, or could be made to do so...
> The first step is to verify that it works; then it should
> be easy enough to implement within mkgmap itself.

For what it's worth, I have been using gmapibuilder with mkgmap for a
very long time.  The mod time on my gmapibuilder.py file is December
2009.  I have had essentially zero trouble.