logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap: problems with encoding file used with option --license-file

From Patrik Brunner patrik.brunner at gmx.net on Sun Dec 4 12:46:51 GMT 2016

Steve,

as promised here the outcome from the (hopefully) proper testing...

Tests performed with maps created on Windows:

  * licence-file option: Check in Basecamp (Windows):
    now ok if I build cp1252 or unicode map, thumbs up !
  * lower-case option:
    if this option is set then I get proper capital and lower-case
    letters in shown license, if not set the it shows all capital
    letters... I haven't found any other differences in the map,
    Basecamp shows proper names on map.
  * copyright-file option: Check in BaseCamp (Windows):
    still shows scrambled characters in unicode map but also still ok in
    cp1252 maps

Additional tests performed with map created on Linux and final gmap
checked on BaseCamp (Windows):

  * created unicode map and cp1252 map
  * on cp1252 map: both copyright-file and license-file output looks
    good (as expected)
  * on unicode map: consistent behaviour as on windows: license-file
    output correct, copyright-file output scrambled

That leaves up two things/questions:

  * I think copyright-file needs to be fixed also as this is the only
    one being displayed on the GPS Device, correct ?
  * question: the description of the option --lower-case says that lower
    case characters aren't displayed properly on most devices. On mine
    (etrex30, oregon 450t, monterra) I couldn't find any difference in
    the map, this option seems to affect only license and copyright
    files ? Do I miss something ? Is it dangerous to set this option for
    having a nice license as I might loose support for some devices ?

Cheers

Patrik