logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap: problems with encoding file used with option --license-file

From Patrik Brunner patrik.brunner at gmx.net on Sat Nov 26 22:37:33 GMT 2016

Steve,
Thanks for the updated version.

It looks different and better, but not yet completely good yet:

  * it's consistent now (tested on Windows only for the moment),
    independant if I start with or without -Dfile.encoding=utf
  * If I create a Latin1 map (codepage 1252) the licens looks good in
    BaseCamp and when checking the img files withGMapTool
  * If I create a unicode map (codepage 65001) it looks good when
    checking the image files with GMapTool
  * Checking the same unicode map (installed img files) in BaseCamp, the
    äöü stuff is scrambled again
  * Converting the same unicode map into BaseCamp format (via jmc_cli)
    and checking in BaseCamp, äöü stuff is also scrambled

Something's still sort of strange, not working as expected....

Another important thing to note about the release you created:
Suddenly the cfg file has to be utf-8 also. I have some special
characters in some comments line there and mkgmap complained, bailed out.
Not sure if this is unintended or intended.... but it might be
'dangerous' for other users, I personally do not care, I can create the
cfg file without any problems in UTF-8 on the fly as it's created
automatically... ;-)

With the old version I could have my cfg file in cp1252 on both linux
(UTF-8 Environment) and Windows (non-utf-8).

Cheers
Patrik