logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Generating index for State/Province instead of City

From yary not.com at gmail.com on Fri Oct 28 22:22:26 BST 2016

Hi all, I've been learning mkgmap and have had good results. So far I've
downloaded tiles from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, and the boundaries and sea
zip files linked to from there, and successfully combined them into a 1.3GB
routable & indexed gmapprom.img to replace the one that came with my Garmin
nuvi 200. (Which I have backed-up)

One small issue- with the factory maps, searching for an address would ask
"Search County (or all)", then "State/Province (or all)" before asking for
the street address. With the OSM maps, my nuvi is asking for "City" instead
of "State/Province."

How can build a map that indexes on "Region" (State, Province) boundaries
instead of "City" boundaries? Or even, indexes on both levels, that could
be useful also.

Here's how I built the map, on a Windows box with many drives:

java -Xmx1650m -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp
--precomp-sea=i:\maps-new_style\sea_20161017.zip --generate-sea --route
--drive-on=detect,right --process-destination --process-exits --index
--bounds=i:\maps-new_style\bounds_20161017.zip
--location-autofill=is_in,nearest --x-split-name-index --housenumbers
--add-pois-to-areas --remove-ovm-work-files
"i:\maps-new_style\NE-USA,Can"\*.img

I'm guessing the answer is in the "style" and not on the command-line... I
tried copying the default style, editing the "address" file, and using the
new style with "--style-file=..." but it didn't seem to have any effect. I
didn't really know what I was doing, so I reverted the changes.

-y