logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] eTrex Vista

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Sun Sep 11 01:10:00 BST 2016

Jakob Mühldorfer <mail at jmuehldorfer.de> writes:

> sorry to ask this here, but I have a device question.
> Does someone here use an ancient eTrex Vista (non c, non cx, non Hcx),
> and knows if mkgmap files can be transferred via serial port and be
> used on it?
> All information is highly welcome

I'm not sure if I'm being duplicative because my German is not so good
(understatement!).

I know of two ways to transfer maps to a serial port garmin.  There is a
program "sendmap" floating around, and I have only seen a binary for
Linux.   Also, Garmin's mapinstall/mapmanager/basecamp (or roadtrip) can
do this, installing subsets of the map after you have loaded it.

For the second way, on a mac

  use gmapibuilder to make a GMAPI format from the img

  open the gmapi to use mapinstall

  open manmanager and click a lot until you figure it out

for sendmap:

  find a sendmap binary

  make an IMG

  run sendmail with the img and the serial port

  figure out the limit on IMG size

  repeat

however, keep in mind that an etrex vista, not HC, probably has a very
small area for maps.  I had a GPS V that could do maps but not really
load a big area (20 MB?), and that was with the proprietary data that
had only roads and POIs, not what OSM has.

So I do not think you are going to end up being happy....