logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [Patch v2] improve roundabout checks

From Mike Baggaley mike at tvage.co.uk on Sun Aug 7 21:41:45 BST 2016

Hi Gerd, please find attached a version 3 patch, that seems to me to provide
everything we need at the moment. It provides two warning messages  of forms
"Roundabout is connected to more than one road at." and "Roundabout is
connected to a road and other highways at.". It does not warn for multiple
highways where there is no road with car access (e.g. a cycleway that goes
straight across a roundabout). Please commit if everyone is happy.

Regards,

Mike

From: Mike Baggaley [mailto:mike at tvage.co.uk]
Sent: 05 August 2016 08:22
To: 'Development list for mkgmap' <mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
Subject: RE: [mkgmap-dev] [Patch v2] improve roundabout checks

HI Gerd, the rationale behind choosing car in determining whether a way is
an exit was that I was expecting most people when counting exits would only
include exits that are normal roads. If we include cycleways in the test, we
run the danger of false positives where a cycleway runs alongside a road and
ends at the roundabout. I don't think it is possible to get an absolutely
perfect solution. For me, Incorrect exit hints is the prime target - though
it is not clear what we should do if the optimum layout for Garmin does not
follow OSM rules. It is perhaps questionable what should happen when a
cycleway meets a roundabout, so it seems more reasonable to not flag these
up. We could count ways with cycling access but no car access separately and
flag a slightly different warning to distinguish them. Or we could count
ways with no car access but  access to other vehicles or cycles. My prime
target would be to separate those that can be easily corrected from those
that are questionable, so I can attempt to reduce the former to zero without
having to evaluate all the questionable ones.

Regards,

Mike