logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Move to Java 1.8

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Aug 2 16:22:45 BST 2016

Hi Uli,

thanks for the patch. I tried it and found no significant change in run time

or memory usage.

My test case: Compile 9 tiles (a part of the Britisch Isles) (with --max-jobs on 4 cores)

In what scenario do you think that the stream methods should save time?

My understanding is that the list streaming is better as it allows automatic

use of multiple cores, so I'd expect improvements in e.g. the gmapsupp builder

which uses a single thread, but not in the code which compiles the tiles.

On the other hand, the combiners which run single threaded are probably

more I/O bound.

Gerd