logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problems with routing on Etrek 20 with latest firmware

From ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com on Thu Jul 28 20:06:46 BST 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:36:03PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> do you have pointers to older firmware, and can you roll back to 4.20?

Garmin seem to do their best to make it difficult to get their firmware
images. Anyway, I seem to remember reading that it was not possible to
roll back to older versions. But maybe my memory is wrong. But I don't
want to risk bricking my Etrek. It is possible that I still have the
older firmware somewhere.

> I have an etrex 30 with 2.80, which basically works.

Yes, I am pretty sure I was on 2.80 before, and had no problems.

I suppose a conspiracy theory would be that Garmin changed something
to bread mkgmap, but I guess it is more likely that the reverse
engineering of the map format is imperfect, and this new bug may
be the opportunity to track down such imperfections. Which is why I
thought the developers' list was the right place to post.

If I can find the old firmware image, and am sure that reverting won't
brick the unit, I will give it a try.

I may also try some of the other maps suggested, although I am currently
away from home with limited internet bandwidth, so large maps might be
a problem ATM.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ael