logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] tagging/rendering ways with multiple relations

From Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com on Mon Jul 25 21:49:04 BST 2016

Just for info - you've sent this to the mkgmap-dev list, which I suspect
might not have been deliberate.  That list is all about creating Garmin
maps using OSM data; not really how to tag trails.

It sounds like a good candidate question for the help site
https://help.openstreetmap.org , actually!

While none of the 4 map styles on the osm.org website currently display
hiking route relations there are others that do.  You've already
mentioned "waymarked trails"; Thunderforest Outdoors is another example
http://www.thunderforest.com/maps/outdoors/ .

The "issues list" for the standard map style is at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues .  It
wouldn't surprise me if someone has already added one for "please
dispplay hiking routes".

For various technical reasons it might be difficult to show relation
membership on OSM's "standard map", but if you want to you can use a bit
of browser trickery to show different map tiles in place of one of the 4
normal map styles:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:SomeoneElse/Your_tiles_from_osm.org
.  It's also possible (but a bit harder) to create your own map tiles -
for example here's an example I did based on OSM's "standard" map from a
couple of years ago:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/38988 .

To actually answer the questions:

  * What is the best practice in dealing with such a situation?

Don't try and munge the "route name" into the "path or street name", but
add it to the route relation.

  * Should I be adding the contents of every relation tag associated
    with a way, to the name tag of the way?  This seems like it would be
    very cumbersome.

It would indeed be cumbersome, and not a good idea.

  * Would it make sense to have the default openstreetmap.org page
    render the name tag of each associated  relation and if there are no
    relations then render the name tag of the way itself?

Possibly, but the challenge is that there are lots of different sorts of
data competing to be rendered, and if you try and render _everything_
you end up with a mess.  Also, as I mentioned above there are technical
restrictions to do with what's in the standard map's rendering database
that controls what can be displayed currently.  There are plans afoot to
change that though - to move to using lua tag transforms that allow
processing similar in many ways to what you can do with mkgmap's style
files.

Cheers,
Andy