logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] r3678 and overview map problems

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Jul 9 07:14:16 BST 2016

Hi Thomas,

okay, I have now checked your test case as well.

I think Steve has already explained why the change in r3674 introduced the problem,

the newer versions read the input files in sorted order when creating the overview map,

older releases used the order given in the command line.

A simple work-around would be to use higher numbers for the tiles which should be processed later,

e.g. 9999 instead of 4000 for the contour tiles.

A better solution would be to detect the needed resolution. The problem here:

mkgmap has to read all input tiles (completely) to find out which one uses the lowest resolution,

current code doesn't allow to read only the levels info. So one has to accept a longer run time.

I don't know if that is really needed, maybe an empty overview map can always use a low resoltion

like 12?

Another solution would be to evaluate the overview-levels option as suggested by Steve.

In your case the overview map is empty, it contains only the 0x4a polygons, so it is quite simple.

I have no idea what mkgmap should do when a user tries to combine ovm*.img files which were

created with different overview-level options, I leave that open.

I've impemented both alternatives in the attached patch, a binary based on r3678 is here:

http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/299/mkgmap.jar

The patch solves your problem, but I'd prefer to avoid the additional reading of all input files

before the overview map is produced.

@all : What do you think about the alternative to use a fixed resolution of 12 for an overview map

that contains only the tile boundary infos?

Gerd