logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] incorporating available data sets into osm

From Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com on Thu Jul 7 22:45:42 BST 2016

I would also hasten to add that not all datasets contain good data. Even
data that is good spatially will have tags attached that are sometimes
helpful but often wrong. Case in point, much of the Adirondack Forest
Preserve data obtained from the NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation,
even the areas designated as wilderness, is tagged as landuse=forest, which
is completely wrong. Careful checking with other interested parties, OSM
gurus, and local mappers is essential before attempting such an import.

North Carolina has a lot of state supplied watershed data too. But it's out
of date and has not kept up with the proliferation of housing developments,
malls,etc. It's quite common to see a stream going right through a large
parking lot or other new development.

Cheers,
Dave

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> 987654321 at use.startmail.com writes:
>
> > I am new to osm and am not sure if this is the appropriate forum in
> > which to ask this question so if it is not, I would appreciate any
> > direction with respect to the best place to post it.
>
> Gerd is quite right about the import process and list.  I would advise
> joining the list and lurking for a month or two before posting, so that
> you can calibrate yourself on the reactions.
>
> > I am working in the Northeastern US.  Many streams are missing from the
> > map.  I found a site
>
> Note that one thing you can do is to merge other data and OSM and then
> run mkgmap on it.  I am 99% sure that if you do not distribute the
> merged data, you will be ok with respect to OSM's ODbL.
>
> Doing this has been on my todo list for a while, for both hydro and
> addressing.
>
> >         " Data Distribution Agreement
> >
> >             I. Description of Data to be Provided.
> >
> >             The data provided herein are distributed subject to the
> >         following conditions and restrictions:
> >
> >             SUBJECT DATA LAYERS
> >
> >             For all data contained herein, NJDEP makes no
> >         representations of any kind, including, but not limited to, the
> >         warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular use,
> >         nor are any such warranties to be implied with respect to the
> >         digital data layers furnished hereunder.  NJDEP assumes no
> >         responsibility to maintain them in any manner or form.
> >
> >             II.Terms of Agreement
> >
> >             1. Digital data received from the NJDEP are to be used
> >         solely for internal purposes in the conduct of daily affairs.
>
> This is inconsistent with the Contributor Terms.   So this data cannot
> be added to OSM.
>
> >          *   3. Digital data received from the NJDEP may not be
> >         reproduced or redistributed for use by anyone without first
> >         obtaining written permission from the NJDEP.  This clause is not
> >         intended to restrict distribution of printed mapped information
> >         produced from the digital data.*
>
> Again this is inconsistent.
>
> >             4. Any maps, publications, reports, or other documents
> >         produced as a result of this project that utilize NJDEP digital
> >         data will credit the NJDEP's Geographic Information System (GIS)
> >         as the source of the data with the following credit/disclaimer:
> >
> >             "This (map/publication/report) was developed using New
> >         Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Geographic
> >         Information System digital data, but this secondary product has
> >         not been verified by NJDEP and is not state-authorized."
>
> This doesn't fit; OSM can attribute on wiki pages or changeset comments,
> but cannot possibly demand (and does not, more importantly) that any map
> have thousands of such disclaimers.
>
> >             5.    Users shall require any independent contractor, hired
> >         to undertake work that will utilize digital data obtained from
> >         the NJDEP, to agree not to use, reproduce, or redistribute NJDEP
> >         GIS data for any purpose other than the specified contractual
> [...]

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand