logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] overview map creation

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Mar 30 09:53:18 BST 2016

Hi all,

while writing this answer

http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/img-limit-tt5870924.html#a5870939

I wondered in what cases mkgmap calculates the overview map.

I am not sure why, but it seems that it does that whenever it

is told to process any input file (OSM or polish format).

As I wrote in my answer you can use --no-tdbfile to switch off

this, but that also prohibits the creation of the work files named

ovm_*.img.

I see one case where this can cause problems even with a "normal" style:

If you want to calculate all tiles for the whole planet first and combine them

later into individual maps you probably will run into the size limit when

mkgmap finally calculates an overview map for planet.

Sure, one can ignore this error as all other img files should be okay, but

I think it would be better to create the overview map only when it is really needed,

means, when --nsis or --tdbfile is given.

Did I get this right?

What is your opinion?