logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem uploading data to JOSM wit 20 hour old OSM data, maybe a SPLIITTER issue?

From Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com on Mon Feb 29 04:31:13 GMT 2016

Greg,

Using JOSM and working with data that other people are also working with is
a recipe for disaster. Resolving the inevitable conflicts that will arise
is tedious and complicated. I have spent hours resolving conflicts made by
"the other user" only to find out later that it was _my own data_ I was
working against. The method you're trying to use will only work well if
you're the only person modifying the data in that particular part of the
world.

Another possibility is to download smaller areas to work in which will keep
the number of edits down. That way you won't have thousands of conflicts
when you do get Internet again. And if you do, you won't lose much work.

Not very satisfying I'm afraid but working with a live Internet connection
is by far the best option.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 9:42 PM, greg crago <gregcrago at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have thousands of map errors I have collected on my GPS from ground
> observations. I just have not had time to upload them to OSM. I do not have
> Internet access all the time.
>
> Downloading many states and then breaking them up using a 'splitter-type'
> program, gives me the flexibility to edit sections of the country I want to.
>
> I thought UPLOAD conflicts only occur when objects I HAVE MODIFIED,
> conflict with objects in the OSM database that have been modified since I
> download MY VERSION. If I have large areas of 'outdated' OSM data, that I
> do not modify, I should not have any problems when I upload, since I am not
> sending that 'untouched' data back to OSM, correct?
>
> I thought this was a viable 'offline' solution. I do not know how to
> filter overpass to download state-by-state regions. GEOFABRIK has already
> done this, if SPLITTER kept the version dataset information., I could use
> it.
>
> Greg
>
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Nelson A. de Oliveira <naoliv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 5:44 PM, greg crago <gregcrago at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I want to download sections of the osm database (USA- Michigan) and
>> make off
>> > line changes in JOSM and upload back to OSM when I am back online.
>>
>> Will you edit the whole state?
>> Do you really need to have all of it?
>>
>> Editing large areas and a lot of objects isn't usually the best thing
>> to do: it can cause duplicate data in OSM and/or you will hit a lot of
>> conflicts.
>>
>> overpass is the easiest way to get fresh data, but you need to filter
>> a smaller region or some specific data that you want.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand