logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Satnav for non-proprietary maps?

From Mark Bradley ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com on Sun Feb 21 21:39:41 GMT 2016

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 18:05:51 +1000
> From: Nev Wedding <nwastra at gmail.com>
> To: Development list for mkgmap <mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Satnav for non-proprietary maps?
>
> Hi Mark
>
> You can use openstreetmap maps in the Garmin format on most Garmin gps
receivers.
> I use osm maps on both my Nuvi in the car and have a eTrex 30 attached to
my cycle
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvi05afy7gy0wdw/etrex.jpg?dl=0
> I bought the eTrex because I also use for bushwalking, but if buying a new
one might
> now, I may opt for the slightly bigger Oregon 600.

[...]

Thank you Nev.  Yes, I am aware of converting OSM data to Garmin format.  I
do this now for use with my Edge 810.  But I was wondering about a GPS that
uses data in a non-proprietary format, so that no conversion would be
necessary.  As I said before, I suppose such a thing doesn't exist.  But I
wanted to pose the question, just to be sure.

Mark