logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Satnav for non-proprietary maps?

From Mark Bradley ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com on Thu Feb 18 01:51:15 GMT 2016

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:26:55 +0530
> From: Regunathan Umapathy <umapathyxp at gmail.com>
> To: Development list for mkgmap <mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Satnav for non-proprietary maps?
>
> I do not own any android devices yet. I fond some of my colleagues are
using maps.me
> application in Apple and andriod phones that make use of the
openstreetmap.

[...]

> > For me, Ubuntu Phone is interesting, but not enough to warrant a
purchase.
> > I hope that there will some day be devices that are based on a
> > system-on-chip that is supported by the mainline Linux kernel. With
> > both Android and Ubuntu, my understanding is that upgrading the kernel
> > is practically impossible, because some drivers are tied to a specific
> > kernel version.
> >
> >         Marko

> Regards
> Regunathan Umapathy (Uma)
> Visit: http://www.panoramio.com/user/69195

When I posed my question to the list, I was thinking of a dedicated
GPS/satnav device, not an app on a smartphone or some other Android device.
I am a cycling enthusiast, and I don't want to use my smartphone while
riding, so I prefer a dedicated GPS device.  I suppose such a thing that
supports open mapping format does not exist (yet).

Mark Bradley