logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Index with little ram?

From Thomas Morgenstern webmaster at img2ms.de on Sun Jan 24 17:21:08 GMT 2016

ich have on my  64 bit Windowsmachine and 5500 MB for java no problem. I also use the geofabrik europa-extraxt; aktually ~ 16 GB osm.pbf.  1. step : Splitter creates ~ 570 <name>.osm.pbf files and as  2.step mkgmap makes  the img-files. But in this 2. step i create not a <name>_mdr.img ! As  3. step i run mkgmap with this options  : --index --tdbfile  --area-name=Europa  *.img. I never create a gmapsupp; only PC -Installation. This method has additionally advantages: you can create many country-spezific-maps with option --index --tdbfile  --area-name=Poland  poland*.img

thomas

Von: Arndt
Datum: Sonntag, 24. Januar 2016 18:47
An: Development list for mkgmap ; Gerd Petermann
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Index with little ram?

6GB for Europa? I use the extract "Europa" from the geofabrik. With my style a 12GB Machine failed.
I make a Test with the "Balearen". With my style the mdr-file has 6,5MB. With the default style only 5 MB.
In my style some ways exists more than one time. For example a street with surface=cobblestone. There are 3 lines, one invisibel for routing, one for the look and one for a marker, that the surface is bad.
Is it right, that only lines with highway=* use for adresses? Perhaps its possibel to use only one highway Tag for the ways and for the other infos i use a custom word.
Why it is necessary that the mdr build in only one step? Perhaps it ist possibel, that this run a few rounds.
x-split towns:
Bad Honnef
El Paso
El Arenal
Wildbad Kreuth
Arndt
___________________________
Steve Sgalowski:
yet it works for me just takes some fidleing around with some  variables

doeing dach map now

Thomas Morgenstern:
Hallo Arndt, ich nutze einen PC mit 6 GB RAM, und weise in der Commandline zum start von mkgmap java 5500MB zu .Damit mit kann ich den europai_mdr.img erstellen. Habe aber die x-splitt-name-index  nicht benutzt. Auch die gmapsupp-option nutze ich nicht.
  Gerd Petermann <GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> hat am 24. Januar 2016 um 10:10 geschrieben:

  Reg. memory: If you have a 64 bit system it is probably better to buy more memory. I think Steven did already

  try to reduce the memory usage so I guess there is not much room for improvements.

  reg. city index: I assume it is possible, not sure if it makes sense.

  I guess you have names like "Samtgemeinde Harpstedt" instead of "Harpstedt" ?

  In that case I think it would be better to use subst like we do for "Gemeinde".

  Do you have positive examples ?