logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style: highway=path means unpaved?

From Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com on Tue Sep 8 10:46:04 BST 2015

Here in Thailand there is an understanding that an unclassified way is more
important than a residential way but less important than a tertiary
highway. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Thailand#Highway_classification
for more information. Most but not all unclassified ways are paved in
Thailand.

I never understood the reasoning behind this but the practice is in wide
use and mappers here generally abide by it. I think it might have come
about because mappers were looking for a way to classify roads that are
important connectors but were not strictly residential and that have no
official designation like a route number.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand