logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] What's the meaning of the 'has no region' warnings?

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Aug 19 08:32:49 BST 2015

Hi all,

I hesitate to commit this patch because I think that we
probably can remove the code instead of "fixing" it.

I found this in imgformat-1.0.pdf:

Highway Records, Exit Records and Highway Data Records
These records were apparently used by the old Roads and Recreation maps to describe services
available at various highway exits, rest areas and so on
In mkgmap we have code to write these records, and this code prints the "has no region" warning.

I still have no idea where the data is used. Maybe the device shows some additional
info when you drive on a motorway.
When Mark Burton committed the code with r984 he did not describe the wanted effect,
but he also seemed to be unsure about its positive effects, see here:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/websvn/listing.php?repname=mkgmap&rev=984

and here:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2009q1/001293.html

I don't know if the problems regarding the basemap were solved later, but
my Oregon 600 doesn't seem to allow to search for exits at alll. Maybe I have to
enable/disable an option for this.

Does anybody know more?

Gerd