logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] bicycle=use_sidepath

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Aug 17 18:42:23 BST 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 04:33:20PM +0200, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>I think we should only consider results of current software, means,
>recent maps created by Garmin or with latest versions of mkgmap and
>latest Garmin software (firmware or PC software).

Old but still somewhat usable devices do not receive updates any more.
The very last firmware update for the Edge 705 was in 2010, almost 5
years ago.

>So, if you can reproduce a case where Garmin software ignores
>restrictions, please post details, else I prefer to think that mkgmap
>is writing wrong img data.

Unfortunately I do not have the Edge 705 any more, so I cannot post
details. But I think that Thorsten Kukuk posted a plausible explanation
of what probably was going on.

>Unfortunately it is quite complex to detect parallel roads, I already
>needed that for the housenumber code and found no algo.

Sure.

For what it is worth, detecting parallel roads could also be useful for
providing better turn instructions (copying the name of the main way to
the cycleway).

Best regards,

	Marko