logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Removal of --adjust-turn-headings option ok?

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Aug 12 09:46:56 BST 2015

Hi all,

see first
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/Possible-problem-with-adjust-turn-headings-tp5851790.html
and the discussion starting at
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/What-is-the-idea-behind-adjust-turn-headings-tp5851885.html

I'd like to remove the code and the option, I think it produces more or less unpredictable results
and I found no problems with maps created without the option. I also plan to add a new option,
maybe  "--fix-sharp-angles", and it might cause trouble if we support both options.

My understanding is that the --adjust-turn-headings option was created before we
merged the "high-prec" branch and before the img format regarding routing info was fully
understood. I guess it helped back in 2010 when it was coded but today it just seems
to modify some heading values, sometimes creating really wrong routing info when
a rather harmless heading change is "amplified" so that Garmin tries to avoid it.

If you have examples which show that --adjust-turn-headings is needed, please post
the OSM ids of the ways, so that I can add the behaviour to the new code for the
"--fix-sharp-angles" option.