logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] What is the idea behind --adjust-turn-headings?

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Aug 10 10:03:51 BST 2015

Well the time penalties are really unbearable if (open) angle is lower 50°.

A strait distance of 1km will be 1 minute on the example road in Basecamp
(road-speed=2) while being 4minutes if the way has a 20° angle turn in the
middle for the same distance. (actually turn only - intersection would be
much worse!).
At ~40° it is still over 1minute added to the total time. At 90° it shows 1
minute too - so the penalty is minimal...

So really - there would need to be some way for cycling/pedestrian maps to
make sure no turn is lower than 50°. If the turn is rounded by 3-4 nodes -
and each turn in that round has over 90° angle - the penalty is more or
less nonexistent.

For intersections the rule is likely - no matter what - if the intersection
turn angle is lower 50° Basecamp/devices will freak out and try to route
somewhere else.

Another possibility would be to decrease the road speed at the
turn/intersection by 1 or 2 levels - then have the turn/intersection. At
road-speed 0 or 1 it is already much better - and the overall time for the
way will decrease! (if you have 10meters in and out of the turn with lower
road-speed).

Too bad additional points are not possible.

Floragasse 9/11
1040 Wien
Austria - Österreich