logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Water polygons in default style

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Jun 8 07:37:01 BST 2015

Hi Carlos,

I have tested your proposals.

1) If I got that right the major difference is
that the default style uses type 0x3c for natural=water+water=reservoir
and 0x3f for landuse=reservoir .
I agree that both should be treated the same,
the change was committed with r3617
(the svn comment is misleading, it only mentions the change in res)

I did not find a similar correspondance between landuse=basin and any of the
water=* tags, so my proposal for this part would be to
change the rule
landuse=basin|landuse=reservoir [0x3f resolution 20]
landuse=basin [0x3f resolution 20]
(landuse=reservoir | (natural=water & water=reservoir)) [0x3f resolution 20]

2) I am not sure about the part reg. area_size() usage.
My understanding so far:
Garmin has different types for water polygons,
GPSMapEdit shows them like this:

0x28: Sea/Ocean
0x29: Body of water  (invisible in Basecamp/MapSource ?)
0x32 : Sea
0x3b : Body of water (invisible in Basecamp/MapSource ?)
0x3c: Large lake (250-600 km²)
0x3d: Large lake (77-250 km²)
0x3e: Medium lake (25-77 km²)
0x3f: Medium lake (11-25 km²)
0x40: Small lake (0.25-11 km²)
0x41: Small lake (<0.25 km²)
0x42: Major lake (>3300 km²)
0x43: Major lake (1100-3300 km²)
0x44: Large lake (600-1100 km²)
0x45: Body of water (invisible in Basecamp/MapSource ?)

My Oregon 600 shows all polygon types
0x28 - 0x45 with the same blue color, so I
think it is okay to use the same type for all water polygons
as long as we don't use a typ file.

Your changes reg. area_size() seem to remove visible details,
so I'd prefer not to use them.

3) It seems that
natural=sea [0x32 resolution 10]
instead of
natural=sea { add mkgmap:skipSizeFilter=true } [0x32 resolution 10]
has no effect. I assume it is obsolete now because of the
ShapeMergeFilter, but it should do no harm either.

In short:
My proposal for the new inc/water_polygons:
landuse=basin [0x3f resolution 20]
(landuse=reservoir | (natural=water & water=reservoir)) [0x3f resolution 20]

natural=bay [0x3d resolution 18]
natural=glacier [0x4d resolution 18]
natural=marsh [0x51 resolution 20]
natural=mud [0x51 resolution 20]
natural=wetland [0x51 resolution 20]

natural=water [0x3c resolution 18]
natural=waterfall | waterway=waterfall [0x47 resolution 21]
natural=sea { add mkgmap:skipSizeFilter=true } [0x32 resolution 10]

waterway=riverbank [0x46 resolution 20]

Gerd