logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Duplicate cities

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed May 20 14:41:24 BST 2015

Hi all,

I've noticed the following problem with boundary relations
(type=boundary, boundary=administrative), e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/170953

is cut into pieces with the attached areas.list
By default, splitter will not keep them complete,
and it is likely that this relation appears in more than one tile.

When you use --add-pois-to-areas mkgmap will generate
a POI based on the existing data, and this POI will have the
tag place=city (for the example), so for each tile we calculate
different coordinates for the city POI.

I guess this happens with other relations as well.

You can solve this particular problem by telling splitter to keep
all administrative boundaries complete, but that will produce
a lot more data in each tile:
--boundary-tags=administrative

So, I see two possible solutions:
1) change splitter so that it keeps mp-relations complete when
they have a tag like place. A new option could specify a list of
those tags .
2) change mkgmap so that it doesn't generate a POI for
mp-relations with incomplete outer ways.

What do you think?