logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] highway=footway not accessible for pedestrian?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu May 7 15:19:10 BST 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 09:48:57AM +0200, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>I've just noticed that the default style
>treats a way with highway=footway and bicycle=yes
>as a bicycle-only way, e.g.
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/8564649
>
>I think that is not intended.
>Reason is this rule:
># Convert generic path to most specific
>highway=footway & snowplowing!=no
>& (bicycle=yes|bicycle=designated|bicycle=permissive|bicycle=official)
>{set highway=cycleway; set bicycle=yes}
>
>which changes a highway=footway to a highway=cycleway.
>
>In the german wiki the tag highway=footway means something like
>"pedestrian only".
>
>I'd like to change that rule to
>highway=footway & snowplowing!=no
>& (bicycle=designated|bicycle=permissive|bicycle=official)
>{set highway=cycleway; set bicycle=yes; set foot=yes}
>
>OK?

Yes, looks OK. I think I am the culprit for this breakage.

The reason for my thinking mistake is because there are very few
highway=cycleway without foot=yes in my area. It is like "Rad weg" in
German: a ghetto for human-powered traffic, to keep the "real" roads
free for cars.

highway=footway means pedestrian-only, so adding bicycle=yes may seem a
bit controversial. Maybe some mappers apply common sense (like in your
example), or maybe adding bicycle=yes makes sense for a short way that
marks a highway=crossing across a bigger road. Here we have such
crossings, which are connecting tertiary roads to highway=cycleway
running in parallel. They are legally footways, if you are not allowed
to ride the bike when crossing the street. If you are using such a way
to go from the tertiary road to the cycleway, for routing it would make
very much sense to allow that short way for bicycles.

	Marko