logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Copying area tags to pre-existing POIs

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon May 4 14:26:46 BST 2015

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 08:46:15AM +0200, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
>Even more complicated would be something like amenity=restaurant, if
>somebody adds a POI and adds all tags to the building, too (I think
>this is bad tagging and the POI should be removed from the OSM data,
>but that's another problem.

Would it be possible for mkgmap --areas-to-pois to copy the tags to one
(or all) of the entrance POIs, instead of generating a new POI?

Let us consider a building that is dedicated to a single restaurant, and
has multiple entrances. Or a school building that has a complex shape
and lots of doors on each side, but only one main entrance that is
useable by visitors.

I think that it would be best to have a POI generated for the main
entrance, or maybe for all entrances.

Someone could "tag for a renderer" and duplicating the tags (amenity,
name, opening_hours, etc.) on each entrance. Then we would get a
duplicate POI for the area if --areas-to-pois is used. This redundant
tagging would AFAIU be the only way to get POIs on the entrances with
the current mkgmap.

For those who prefer a car analogy: parking=multi_storey or
parking=underground lot that has an entrance. OK, for cars, the entrance
and exit driveways are usually explicitly mapped, with appropriate
access tags. For pedestrian routing, some fences or locked gates might
be missing or ignored by the routing, and therefore you really could
benefit from knowing which entrance to use, instead of being told where
the center of the building or area is.

	Marko